Thursday, February 11, 2010

Facebook: Friend or Foe?

Facebook. The wonderful social networking tool that has plenty of us "networked," but at what cost? Sure, I "love" spending mindless hours looking at "friends" pictures and reading the deep or witty things that my acquaintances have to say; however, I have recently been convicted over the amount of time I spend on this great networking tool. I have replaced deep meaningful relationships, with the occasional post on a wall. Even, great friends who I have the opportunity to dig deeper with, be discipled by, be held accountable for my actions to, and "do life" together with I have chosen to communicate with via facebook instead of picking up the phone and making actual contact. Seems like, in my case anyway, that something that was meant to bring us all closer together has driven many of us into complacency, especially when it comes to gospel-centered friendships, and it is for this reason that I have been much grieved lately.

In addition, my time with family is in serious need of redemption. I can't tell you how many hours have been wasted on the internet when I could be doing things to free up my time with Craig and Speirs. But selfishly, I have chosen to seek my own and justified it with so many excuses.

With that, I am deactivating and stepping away from facebook for a while-possibly forever. There was life before facebook, right? The old days of email and telephone calls are back for this lady. I will continue to blog, thankfully without the distraction and curiousity of what everyone is doing, so my time on the internet should be shorter. I pray that this time is redeemed for the glory of Christ and not for myself, that I would pursue sanctification with the help of the Spirit through the Word, prayer, my marriage, family and friends. My email address is brittany.west519@gmail.com if you need to get up with me....and ofcourse here on Days Like This:)

No comments: